3.05.2008

Things on my mind...



Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (movie)
I watched this last night on a whim, and I'm glad I did. Here's the breakdown: Val Kilmer and my buddy Robert Downey Jr. as, respectively, a private detective and petty thief caught up in a noirish conspiracy in LA. It's absolutely hilarious. Downey Jr. is always great. Always. He's never been bad. tell me when he's been bad. I challenge you. Right. Exactly. Any movie that stars him as the romantic/comedic lead gets an automatic thumbs up from me. But, his involvement aside, it's definitely worth checking out. It's a hoot. Val Kilmer is also pretty game, just for the record.



Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - Searching for the Hows and the Whys (album)
It's an entertaining, theatrical album that I have only given one listen, but highly recommend. It's a fun, fresh kinda thing. A good Spring album. Too bad Spring will be arriving in Amherst sometime in July.



The Crazy Operas Getting Written These Days (general concept)
Every once in a while, I am reminded that people are still writing operas. Not only are they still writing them, but they're setting them in modern times or adapting them from modern sources. This is awesome to me. I have yet to see one of these productions, but I really, really want to some day.
For your (and my) edification, here is an incomplete list of somewhat crazy sounding full-blown modern (1975-present) operas. Not musicals. Not operettas. Operas.

Angels in America

Nixon in China

Dead Man Walking

The End of the Affair

Harvey Milk

Einstein on the Beach

For nobody's edification, here is a much longer list of crazy sounding modern operas that I made up just now, but should probably get made pretty soon.

Blue Velvet

Heath Ledger: The Opera

Napoleon Dynamite

Bush in Crawford (A Cycle in 79 Parts)

Nancy Anmut ist ein schlechtes Weibchen: Eine Oper berichtete durch einen Chor der toten Blondine-Hochschulmädchen
(Nancy Grace is an Evil Bitch: An Opera Narrated by a Choir of Dead Blonde College Girls)



Nathaniel Tyson

No comments: